Friday, October 23, 2009

How I got started by Linda FInstad


From Absolutely no idea to Apeturely Fabulous

 

A new year’s resolution that changed my life

 My name is Linda Finstad - I am a middle aged English woman.

 Every year for as long as I can remember I made the same “To Do List” of New Years Resolutions, that would make me slimmer, fitter even a nicer person. Every year for as long as I can remember I had to re make those very same resolutions come Jan 1st.

 Then on my 45th birthday I had a light bulb moment.

Instead of lamenting that I was middle aged and gravity was doing a fine number on my looks, I thought “What if I live to be 90 – I am only half way through my life.

Wow I may have another 45 years to complete any task I set my mind to.

Now I didn’t want to follow the pattern of the last 20 or so years, after all those weight loss, and exercise resolutions obviously don’t work.

So it was time for something completely different.

 I decided to become a Professional Photographer

A worthy goal to be sure 

I don’t know whether it’s a cultural thing, but typically middle aged English women rarely think of going back to school, they think of joining the women’s institute or volunteering at the local hospital.

 Which made my new Years Resolution to go back to school to learn a new profession extremely shocking to my friends and family.

They thought this one would end up like those of years gone by 

Failed and forgotten by February.

They were sure that the sheer volume of stuff to learn to create professional images would overwhelm me and cause me to quit and take up knitting instead.

 They were truly shocked when I enrolled for classes at Metro collage, and even more shocked by my genuine enthusiasm to learn everything I possibly could about digital photography, creative lighting and composition.

After completing all the courses available I was still hungry for more knowledge and information so I enrolled with an on-line photography school - photowebschool.com and completed another 100 lessons on advanced lighting and commercial photography.

 You really can teach an old dog new tricks - by the end of the year I was ready to launch my new business – A Sharper Image - Commercial Photography

www.imagineitsold.ca

Launch date - Jan 2006 – exactly one year post New Years resolution

My target market was small to medium businesses that needed sharp, creative images of their products that they could use in brochures/ advertising and on the internet.

 Over the course of my first year I have shot everything from food to fashion, lots of art and some architecture, Along with a slight diversion from the original plan I attended Equine events where I photographed the competitors, which lead to Farm shoots where families and their animals would gather at some ones farm for outdoor photo sessions with their horses, dogs and cats. This was great fun for everyone - especially me.

My work has even been published in a number of magazines.

 This was a New Years Resolution that truly changed my life

 P.S. At the end of my first year I am also fitter and slimmer, due to all the extra activity - what a bonus. 

The reason I am sharing my story is to inspire other women like myself, to dream big and don’t allow stereotyping to hold you back. 

But this was only the beginning of what has been and hopefully continuing to be a Great adventure.

To see more examples of my work please visit www.imagineitsold.ca

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment