Friday, October 23, 2009

Wildlife Photography by Linda Finstad


My Big Adventure  

 I always dreamed of being a photographer for National Geographic, dashing off to exotic locations to capture stunning images of the wildlife.

But opportunities like that are few and far between. Especially for a middle aged English woman. So when I heard about a ranch in Montana that guaranteed to show you wild animals, I was dizzy with excitement.

Perhaps my dream could come true after all - all be it a little modified.

 So armed with a bag of butties and some bug spray I set of to Montana on my big adventure.

I was assigned a guide who assured me he would steer me in the direction of the wild canines and felines in the area.  He certainly made good on his promise.

Stalking wild animals is not for sleepy heads. We set off just before dawn, he knew of a place where a small pack of wolves usually gather early morning – if you wait till it starts to get warm they have usually found a nice shady place to snooze, and in this game if you snooze you loose. True to his word there they were, two males and a female so we quietly crept up on this intimate little group as they played in a clearing by the stream.

On the way back he took me to a very secret place where a fox had delivered two cubs a couple of weeks earlier. Mamma fox was patrolling the den site as her tiny cubs explored a few feet in front of the den – a very special moment. The fox knew we were there but she wouldn’t leave her cubs so we only stayed a few moments. It was not our intention to disturb or intrude.

The following day we headed off into the mountains in search of big cats. We were on the trail of a mountain lion by 5.30am and quietly watched a young male as he warmed himself in the early morning sun, standing proud overlooking the valley on a lichen covered rock. A sight I will never forget. Thrilled to have captured such an elusive predator of the mountains I thought we were done for the day but to my surprise on our way down the mountain we came upon a bob cat – much smaller than the mountain lion but just as beautiful in his own way. We watched silently as he checked out a small outcrop of rocks until he found a comfortable place to relax in the sunshine.

On our way back to the ranch the guide pointed to a hollow rock and told me to get my camera ready – and to my surprise a raccoon popped his head out of the hollow, allowing me to take some seriously cute pictures.

On my Third day at the ranch we were setting off to find the grizzly bear – until now I had not been worried about meeting the wild animals but remembering how much further down I am on the food chain to the grizzly - I have to admit I am feeling a little nervous.

We seemed to hike for ever through the wet grass and under gloomy overcast skies, until we came till we came to a clearing in the trees where a small stream ran through. There we sat hidden in the undergrowth and waited. Our patience was rewarded as a young grizzly came to drink from the stream and forage for food. I was so enthralled as I watched and clicked away with my camera time seemed to stand still.  I begged my guide to take me back to the fox den on the way home for a second glance of the cubs. They were so cute I wanted to try and photograph them one more time but when we got there the den was empty perhaps we had disturbed her and she had moved her cubs. Disappointed we started for home and just out of the corner of my eye I spotted something moving near an old tree stump and to my delight she had hidden her cubs inside. Mama Fox was nowhere to be seen but the cheeky little cubs kept poking their heads out to look for her. Providing me with the some adorable shots.

I really expected my final day at the ranch to be a day of rest I couldn’t imagine there were any more animals but to my surprise the guide had saved a little treat for last. He knew where to find a Canadian Lynx. He said there were a few in the area but they are very shy and blend into their environment really well so are hard to spot. This guide was amazing; he not only knew the area extremely well but he also understood the habits and behavior patterns of the animals that made it their home. Without him I would have been photographing butterflies and wild flowers in the meadow, not a shy elusive and exquisitely beautiful Canadian lynx on the edge of a meadow that was surrounded by aspen trees, we found her hunting around the base of a tree. I clicked away before she spotted us and darted off into the undergrowth.

 My adventure had drawn to a close but armed with some fantastic shots and memories I will never forget I vow to return.

to see all the pictures please visit www.imagineitsold.ca and click on "Wildlife"

 Maybe I will never be on staff as a photographer for National Geographic but my experience with these wild animals has changed me forever.

 My wish is that the photographs inspire you to appreciate and value these beautiful animals. Only then will they be guaranteed a future.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment