Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Dare to Dream BIG


Dare to Dream big

I born in a tiny village called Elswick, a Hamlet so buried in the English countryside, one has ever heard of it.

Growing up my world was very small there were only 5 other kids in my class at elementary school and we very rarely traveled more than 10 miles and any direction, to the closest town. In the village seasons came and went crops grew and were harvested and the whole process started again, nothing changed much from year to year. Everyone knew everything about everyone.

So back then my dreams were very small and the thought of going on a long (2 hour) road trip needed lots of planning accompanied with a flask of coffee and large packed lunch. And my biggest dream was to own 3 acres of land and a 4 x 4 vehicle.

Although I have been in Canada for over 14 years I am still trying to overcome “island mentality”.

Since my integration into Canadian life I have overcome my fear of traveling farther than 10 miles but it has taken a little longer to have the courage to dream big.

And it was a TV commercial that gave me permission!

The ad was part of a volunteer recruitment campaign for the Vancouver Olympics and they told the viewer

“You too can go to the Olympics – Just not as an athlete”

Really I thought, I too can be a part of the Olympics – then it hatched the biggest dream I have ever had for myself.

I would like to take pictures of the Canadian Equine Olympic team in 2012 when it will be held back in the country of my birth England.

Now I just have to get accreditation and start saving for the ticket – hey but those are just details.

Wish me Luck

1 comment: