Monday, January 18, 2010

I Thought Sweat Shops were illegal


I Thought Sweat Shops were illegal

All the experts tell you when starting a business your decisions must be based on facts and figures NOT emotions.

So I broke all the rules right from the get go when I started my Business “Hats By Emmanuel”. You see, my desire was to make a difference and help ladies suffering with hair loss due to chemo therapy. I thought my creative styles coupled with soft luxurious fabrics could help them through a very difficult time.

I had no business plan or idea where I wanted the business to go either short term or long term. 12 years ago I just knew there was a need and I wanted to fill it.

Now the experts also tell you when you fail to plan you “plan to fail” but sometimes when your heart is in the right place and you don’t mind working really hard the plan just unfolds as you go along.

I went from creating a couple of dozen pieces per week and selling them down at the farmers market to providing a full line of specialty headwear to hospital gift shops and wig stores all across Canada. Now production is around 8 – 15 dozen per week. So I got my wish, I am making a difference and reaching lots of ladies in what is probably their lowest point.

However I never planned on running a sweat shop and certainly didn’t plan on doing all the sweating. Maybe a business plan wouldn’t be such a bad idea after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment