Thursday, January 7, 2010

Overcome your Fears


How I overcame my Fear with the click of a button

I have always loved to watch the National Geographic channel on TV and was in awe of those brave photographers who captured such stunning images of dangerous animals. Traveling to unmapped areas in the quest to reveal their hidden mysteries.

How dull and ordinary my suburban life seemed by comparison, and it was every day was the same old same old.

Until one day I spotted an ad for a photography course at our local college, without a moment’s hesitation I picked up the phone and enrolled.

Then the panic set in – you see the college was right in the city centre, and I have a serious fear of driving down town – now what was I to do. The thought of driving in all that city traffic brought me out in a cold sweat.

I considered taking the bus or a taxi cab but I decided that at 45 years of age it was time to face my fears.

My desire to learn photography was stronger than my fear and I set off to my first class. When I arrived at the parking lot I had to peel each frozen finger from the steering wheel I was so scared. But as the weeks passed it really did get easier and easier. I loved the photography classes and was hungry for more and more information so I took all the courses the collage had to offer both beginner and advanced. It turned out I had a natural eye for both light and composition. So I decided to couple my love of animals specifically horses and launch an Equine photography business – A Sharper Image – Photography a year later.

Once again I had to face my fear of driving into unknown territory as I traveled across Alberta to equine events working as the official show photographer, plus private shoots at farms and ranches. I don’t know what was more difficult, figuring out which lane I was supposed to be in downtown or deciphering range roads and township roads that all looked the same?

It was only my love of photography that forced me onward and forward.

To my ultimate adventure – when I finally conquered my fear of driving.

I heard of a wildlife guide in Montana, who would take out small groups of photographers in the hopes of getting close enough to capture images of wolves, bears, foxes even mountain lions.

This was my chance to live the life of a national geographic photographer all be it for a little while.

Full of excitement I called the number and booked a wilderness trip with him.

Then the reality struck me - how an I going to get to this remote spot in Montana. Driving was the ONLY option.

Once again my desire was stronger than my fear and planned my route. To make the 900 kilometer journey seem less daunting, I broke down the journey into 20 kilometer segments – after all I was comfortable driving 20 kilometers – all that was different was I just kept going.

Eventually I arrived at the lodge, tired but exhilarated I had done it – I thought if I can drive all the way from Edmonton to Montana I can drive anywhere. I was finally free from my fear of driving.

All it took was the click of a camera button and the desire to capture National geographic style pictures

To see more pictures from my “Big Adventure” and discover how a loud middle aged English woman could capture such amazing images.

Visit www.imagineitsold.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment