Friday, January 8, 2010

How to Achieve Excellence


How to Achieve Excellence

Ok maybe Excellence is a slight exaggeration on the advice I am going to share, but if you follow this simple tip you will defiantly be well on your way.
Some wise old sage once said the definition of stupidity is to repeat the same actions and expect a different result.
But for most of us we get stuck in our ways and it is very hard to change or even recognize that we need to change. This is especially true of people like me, who are self employed and spend a lot of time working by themselves.
So I have devised a strategy – major corporations hold “Brain Storming Session” in fancy board rooms.
But when the board meeting just consists of you and the dog.
This is what I do.
After each job I conduct Evaluations.
Its just two pieces of paper one marked “What went well” and the other “what would my ideal outcome have been”
I am a very optimistic person so I try to focus on the positive opportunities of what some might call mistakes.
Then I write down everything I can think of - and I mean everything
Sometimes ways to improve and achieve excellence are hidden in the small stuff.
One of my greatest revelations on an evaluation excersise was after a miserable rainy 3 day event. – taking pictures in the rain is no fun.
So what would have been my ideal outcome from this wet weather show?
A dry place to take pictures from
• So if I took a small “easy up tent” and put it up by the rail I could work in the dry and my equipment wouldn’t get damaged.
• Plus I will make lots of new friends and contacts as people share my “Dry space” allowing me to hand out cards and sell more pictures.
• I capture “All” those thrills and spill shots that bad ground conditions result in
• Have a small case packed with a change of clothes and light weight waterproof pants, and a towel.
If I hadn’t done my evaluation – this solution would not have been thought about.
Very often the most simple changes reap the greatest results.
I hope this helps you in your quest for excellence.

1 comment:

  1. Love it, I do the same thing! After years in management, and conducting those types of brainstorming sessions, I am too self employed. So I have the big Post Its all over the place, and after each adoption of the horses, and if there is a glitch, I do the same type of evaluation.
    However, I need a dog!

    ReplyDelete