Sunday, January 24, 2010

Who is Linda Finstad - Anyway?



Allow me introduce myself.

My name is Linda Finstad, I grew up in small rural community in England. Where it was normal for kids to learn to ride a horse before they rode a 2 wheel bicycle and I got my first pony on my fourth Birthday.
My childhood revolved around horse shows and pony club - what I took for granted back then, in hindsight was obviously a very privileged upbringing.
As my mother bought me very nice show ponies and hunters that were fit to
win at county level.
Horses were my life and it only seemed natural to work in the industry so I studied at Wrae Green Equestrian Centre for my BHSAI - once qualified I taught riding there for a couple of years before moving on to open a saddlery store. And once again I was back at the horse shows with a trade stand selling tack and country clothing.

I came to Canada about 14 years ago and for a while felt quite lost I didn’t know where the shows were held or how to get involved in the horse industry.
So in an attempt to re-invent myself I went back to school to learn photography this was a very challenging but rewarding process but it was only when the teacher asked the class “What do you really want to take pictures of” that it struck me Horses and Dogs of course. With all my experience not only in the show ring but also as a trainer I have an extremely good eye when it comes horses. This coupled with my formal photography training makes capturing fabulous shots so much easier.
I feel I my life has come full circle, and feel extremely privileged to be the official photographer at many horse shows and dog agility events throughout Alberta.
I really do have the best job in the world as I get to photograph some amazing animals and very talented handlers, horsemen and women.

In 2008 I was given the biggest commission of my entire career
The “Equine Heritage Exhibit” a photographic study of all the breeds of horses that make up the equine population of Alberta. Once this two year project is completed it will be housed in the Provincial Archive museum. Providing a snapshot in time of what “All” the breeds not only look like but also what they are used for. A fabulous resource for future generations.

I am truly blessed to spend my days capturing the beauty of Horses.
www.imagineitsold is where you can see my work

No comments:

Post a Comment